Protect your ewes and their lambs against clostridial diseases with Nilvax® Selenised, the specialised 5-in-1 pre-lamb vaccine.
*Primary vaccination programme in lambs is usually completed with a Multine 5-in-1 clostridial vaccine
Stock type: Sheep
NILVAX IS AVAILABLE FROM YOUR VET OR RURAL RETAILER.
- Dose: Weight based, refer below (do not vaccinate sheep less than 20kg)
– 20 to 25kg: 3.5mL
– 26 to 65kg: 4.0mL
– 66 to 80kg: 4.5mL
– 81 to 90kg: 5.0mL
– 91 to 95kg: 5.5mL
– 96 to 105 kg: 6.0mL
- Initial Vaccination Programme: 2 shots
- Annual Booster: Required
- Administer by: Subcutaneous (SC) injection
- Stock type: Sheep
Clostridial diseases (including but not limited to Tetanus, Pulpy Kidney, Blackleg, Malignant Oedema & Black disease) are caused by anaerobic bacteria that are common and widespread in the environment, particularly in soil.
The bacteria produce spores that can survive in the environment for a very long time.
The disease-causing bacteria may be picked up at any time by susceptible animals through either wound contamination or ingestion.
Clostridial diseases strike rapidly and are almost always fatal. Very rarely are clinical signs seen, with infected animals presenting as “found dead”.
Risk factors are a mixture of animal and environmental factors:
• Animal: reduced immunity, injury and wound infection, liver damage, young stock or rapidly growing stock
• Environmental: highly digestible feed, increased exposure to soil in the diet
Vaccination is one viable means of control.
Benefits of vaccination with Nilvax:
- Superior pre-lamb immune response against clostridial disease
- The specialist pre-lamb vaccine offering lambs up to 16 weeks protection
- Longer duration of protection:
– Allows ewes to be vaccinated earlier, reducing the likelihood of sleepy sickness in heavily pregnant ewes
– Provides confidence that late lambers are covered
– Provides added protection of lambs, particularly multiples through to weaning
- Levamisole acts as an immune stimulant14,15 to increase the amount of antibodies produced and also provides protection against susceptible parasites.
Nilvax is a specialised 5-in-1 pre-lamb vaccine.
Providing a superior pre-lamb immune response, Nilvax offers lambs up to 16 weeks protection against clostridial diseases.
This longer duration of protection offers the following benefits:
- Allows ewes to be vaccinated earlier; reducing the likelihood of sleepy sickness in heavily pregnant ewes
- Provides confidence that late lambers are covered
- Provides added protection of lambs, particularly multiples through to weaning.
Frequently Asked Questions
|What is the main function of Nilvax® Selenised?||Nilvax® Selenised is a specialised 5-in-1 pre-lamb vaccine that is designed to protect ewes and their lambs against a range of clostridial diseases. By vaccinating ewes at prelamb with Nilvax® Selenised, farmers can help to ensure the health and wellbeing of their sheep flock, safeguarding against devastating losses caused by these diseases. Nilvax Selenised has a longer duration of protection compared to a lot of clostridial vaccines which provides flexibility around vaccination timing.|
|What is the recommended vaccination programme for Nilvax® Selenised?||The recommended vaccination programme for Nilvax® Selenised involves two initial shots, followed by an annual booster for unvaccinated stock. If ewes have previously been vaccinated with Multine 5-in-1 within the last 12 months, Nilvax can be used as the annual booster without a need for a sensitiser vaccine.|
|What is the dosing guideline for Nilvax® Selenised?||The dosage of Nilvax® Selenised is based on the weight of the sheep. For sheep weighing between 20 to 25kg, the dose is 3.5mL. As the weight of the sheep increases, the dosage also increases, with sheep weighing between 26 to 65kg requiring a 4.0mL dose, 66 to 80kg a 4.5mL dose, 81 to 90kg a 5.0mL dose, 91 to 95kg a 5.5mL dose, and 96 to 105 kg a 6.0mL dose. It’s important to note that Nilvax® Selenised should not be administered to sheep less than 20kg.|
|How is Nilvax® Selenised administered?||Nilvax® Selenised is administered to sheep via a subcutaneous (SC) injection, which is a shot given under the skin. This method ensures that the vaccine is effectively absorbed into the body, providing optimal protection against a range of clostridial diseases.|
|What are the key benefits of vaccinating sheep with Nilvax® Selenised?||Vaccinating sheep with Nilvax® Selenised offers several significant benefits. The vaccine provides a superior pre-lamb immune response against clostridial diseases, offering lambs up to 16 weeks of protection. This longer duration of protection allows ewes to be vaccinated earlier, reducing the likelihood of sleepy sickness in heavily pregnant ewes. It may also provides additional protection for lambs, especially multiples, through to weaning.|
|What clostridial diseases does Nilvax® Selenised protect against?||Nilvax® Selenised is a specialised 5-in-1 pre-lamb vaccine designed to protect against the five most common clostridial diseases in New Zealand. These include Tetanus, Pulpy Kidney, Blackleg, Malignant Oedema, and Black Disease. These diseases are commonly caused by anaerobic bacteria that are widespread in the environment, particularly in soil.|
|Where can Nilvax® Selenised be purchased?||Nilvax® Selenised can be purchased from veterinary clinics or rural retailers. By making this vaccine readily available, sheep farmers have an effective means of protecting their flocks against a range of harmful clostridial diseases, ensuring the health and productivity of their livestock.|